Sunday, April 22, 2012

Survival instincts of a president

In my new book "My Benazir" - there is an amusing anecdote, which sheds light about Pakistani president Asif Zardari. Some may find it funny. I simply find it telling.


While I was traveling in Europe, for one of my interviews, I left my close friend Erbil Gunasti to look after Asif. At that point, per Benazir's request, we were spending lots of time with him in New-York.

Erbil told me about one of his lunches with Asif, during my trip. He asked Asif about his eleven and a half years in prison. Asif had told us many times, about his tough times there. But this time  - Erbil just wondered loudly: "Asif, what did you do all this time, in jail? Did you write a book?" 


Asif's reply was: "No." 


Did he read books? "No." Asid said.  


Erbil was trying to figure it out:  "So what did you do there?"

 Asif said, he was watching TV. 

That started to make sense to Erbil, who is politically savvy. He was trying to guess which channels: local news? International news?

"National Geography," answered Asif, "I was watching the animals ..."






No comments:

Post a Comment