Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Who will be the next president of France?

Francois Hollande established a lead, earlier this week against sitting president Nicolas Sarkozy. This was the first shot of the 2012 elections in France. With the rapidly declining economy, and growing unemployment in France - many expect Sarkozy to be a one-term-president. Many agree that Hollande will win in May.


I have met Sarkozy. In fact - I am friends with his ex wife Cecilia, her current husband Richard Attias, and little Louis Sarkozi - the only son of the French president with Cecilia.
I have met Hollande as well. A shrewd politician, no doubt. Our introduction took place after his lover then - the mother of his children - beautiful Segolene Royal lost the elections to Sarkozy.


My exclusive interview with Segolene made headlines around the world. We filmed it, few weeks, before the elections (2007) at the glamorous penthouse of La Fouquette Hotel in Paris. Segolyn was dressed like Jacky O (Kennedy). She had this style which put women on fashion magazines' covers around the world. She was warm, engaging, lovely! The two of us really bonded.

But there was something else about her: Some hidden sadness? Loneliness? Such vulnerability under her tough cover. She needed to show her tough side! After all, she was the first ever woman presidential candidate in France! The (macho) knives were out there, looking for any small error, she might make.

When we hugged each other after the interview, she told me: "I need (your) help ..." 

A few days later in New York,  I met my close friend Benazir Bhutto, her husband Asif Ali Zardari and other friends of mine, for a dinner in a French bistro. Segolene was on the cover of a magazine at the bistro's bar. Naturally - everyone at our table wanted me, to share more about, "This first woman to run for president in France .." They asked me, what was she like.
I looked at Benazir. She was going through tough time. She didn't look her best. "Segolene," I said, "reminds me of you Benazir, when I first met you ...Yes, she is beautiful ..." Asif who was sitting next to me, ignoring his wife during the dinner, jumped up. He looked a bit tipsy, when he announced: "Nobody is as beautiful as my wife ..."

The table went quite. I glanced at Benazir. She continue to eat, cutting such a lonely figure. What a different image from the smiling Segolene, the politician, the desired woman who seemed to have had it all?

In June 2007 - I was again in Paris. Sarkozy had won the elections in May.  Segolene had a lot to deal with: Not only being a political loser ...NO! The world learnt that her partner Francois Hollande was in love. Not with Segolene.  

Hollande is a pleasant man. I have no reason or right to judge his personal choices. He may be the best solution for France's current problems.

Yet - the image of a lonely Segolene asking for help, keeps flashing in front of my eyes, dissolving into Benazir ...

More in my new book  "My Benazir."  








No comments:

Post a Comment