Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Exploiting Bin Ladin's name ...

The seals - I read today  - are upset with Barack Obama, for exploiting their successful operation, killing Bin Ladin a year ago, in his campaign to be re-elected to president.


But is it the first time Bin -Ladin's name was used for wide range of goals?


In my book "My Benazir" - I bring extracts from my interview with then (2005) Pakistani president Pervez Musharaf who told me that he "almost," captured the terrorist, then. He was that close ...


In my  interview with Benazir Bhutto and her husband Asif Ali Zardari (Pakistani president today)  - parts of it are published in "My Benazir" - Benazir said that "NOT catching Bin Ladin ...Just keep saying that HE is searching for him ..." is the way Musharraf has secured the U.S. support and heavy funding: "Musharraf is using Bin-Ladin's name for his own political needs ..."


Ironically - Asif would make the same promises to the U.S., after her assassination, and him taking over the leadership of Pakistan. When I visited him on 2008 in Pakistan, it was clear, that pleasing the US.., was his safest card, to get crucial aid and support. And searching for Bin Ladin was part of the deal.


Finding Bin Ladin (and killing him) literally under Asif's nose, broke the remains of this shaky deal, let alone the trust. Each side used it to his own benefit.


Bin Ladin's name was even used for colorful tabloid stories. Yes, yes ...Couple of years ago, I was asked by my editors, to interview Zaina Bin Ladin and her husband Omar. She - is a British woman, who fell in love with a young man, half her age: Omar, Osama Bin Ladin's son. Omar's mother - one of the terrorist's ex wives - wrote a book. Zaina and Omar spoke with me, about their hardships, "Being Bin Ladin." Zaina wanted to have children with Omar using a surrogate mother. She told me, she had an agent, liaising with different media outlets. I ran their juicy story. So did others. Then - we ran follow-up stories ...


Would we have paid attention to this couple, unless HE was Bin Ladin's son??



No comments:

Post a Comment