Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mary J Blige: My Empowering Perfume ...

Charity - definition in the dictionary - is a generous aid or donation to the poor, ill or helpless.
Nowadays - there so many charities, that sometimes the true meaning or the spirit of it, is forgotten.

While many of us work hard and give to the needy, some public figures just feel, it is a part of their social duty: So long as they full fill the promise.

That is why I was saddened to read today, in the New York Post, a report about Mary J. Blige's foundation,  FFAWN (Foundation For the Advancement of Women Now). According this report, the foundation owes money  to several entities, and facing lawsuits. Mary  has, allegedly,  hardly made any payments towards the foundation, despite promoting her good deed in the media, and promising  to donate 1 dollar from each sale of her perfume 'My Life,' saying that "to Empower Women If I can do it, so can they ..."

                                                              ***
I have no idea how accurate this information is (even though the newspaper provided numbers to support the report).  But it reminded me, the fact that several months ago - I received urgent "HELP" messages from on of Mary's employees. This person, wanted to work for me, or one of my friends. The employee told us about crazy life style, total chaos, disrespectful attitude towards employees and others ...I didn't want to hear any of that, and argued that Mary J Blige IS a self made woman. She has created a music/acting (plus cottage industry like perfumes) career by being gifted and hard working.

In fact - I was very impressed by Mary's campaign: To donate one dollar from the sale of each perfume. I was ...
                                                               ***

I am supporting several charities. Every now and then - it occurs to me, that instead of spending so much fund and effort on glamorous black-tie dinners (and give proceeds to certain charities) .., why won't we just give donations to the causes we care about without organizing social events?? It can be proceeds from books, concerts, movies, art works and so on. 

So Mary's announcement, that she is giving proceeds from the sale of her perfume to her charity sat well with me. I am sure, many women who had looked up to her, were hoping to hear about how the women were empowered, to thank Mary and her perfume for this great deed. Some of us might have even chosen to buy Mary's perfume over others, saying:  "Well, it helps others ..."

I hope, Mary's PR team will advise her to do an urgent damage control and make a substantial donation to these women in need, she (or someone in her camp) disappointed.

                                                                *** 

Meanwhile - I set up a system to give some of the proceeds from my book "My Benazir" automatically to two charities, I support. One of them is "The Children of Peace" is headed by my close friend Lamia Khashoggi and her partner Debbie Mace.  It supports kids who are growing up in war zones.

The other is called: "Life Action Trust. It is the charity of my beloved friend Chrisanthy Lemos who supports young artists.  

I know how hard working  both Chrisanthy and Lamia are. They give not only funds but also their hearts to these causes. I witnessed Lamia running on her high heels, few hours before her big gala, or her partner Debbie doing last moment errands instead of pumppering themselves in the spas and preparing for the gala ...That tells you a lot. Attending Chrisanthy's charities, where everything from the flowers to the sitting arrangement is well thought off, is a delightful experience.
                                                                 *** 

So how can you donate to both worthy charities, while enjoying an original book? 
Go to: www.pipublic.com.
Then click on: "My page"
Then - click on your favorite charity.
Some of the proceeds from the sale of "My Benazir" will benefit the charity you clicked on.







No comments:

Post a Comment