Friday, May 4, 2012

Some Like It Hot ...

A documentary about Tony Curtis was selected to open a film festival.


I met Tony few years ago at his house in Henderson, near Las Vegas. It took me and my crew a while, to find the location.  When Tony opened the door,  we had the following exchange ...
I asked him: "Tony, why did you decide to live so far away? ..."


Tony shot back: "Daphne, far away from WHAT??"


I looked around me. Beautiful golf course surrounded us. There was something so peaceful about it. Tony gave me a tour, which included a sculpture of Marilyn Monroe. He stopped next to it, and told me juicy stories about Monroe, who starred with him in "Some Like It Hot". He continued with stories about Jack Lemon and other Hollywood icons.


"Do you miss, making movies?" I asked. He thought about it, and then said: "Look, if Hollywood wants me, I am one phone call away ..." That simple.


He had this confidence of someone who has been there, done that ...And "that" - was being a Hollywood legend. Someone who didn't need to reside in Hollywood, in order to be a part of it.
He introduced me to his wife Jill, and told me about the happiness he found with her.


After few hours, before we said good-bye, he showed me some of his paintings: "I love painting," he said, "It is relaxing ..." Actually, he was quite a good painter. I flattered him, adding that my mom who adored him, had a birthday. Perhaps I said, I should buy one of his paintings for her. Tony got excited! He offered to call her and wish her "Happy Bday" ...Then - he pointed at a small-tiny painting, and said: "And this is mom's gift ...Only 5000 USD!"

No comments:

Post a Comment